DISCOVERING THE TRUTH


I had heard Bible stories in Sunday School when I was a child. I 
went to churches when I an adult and listened to many sermons
about Noah's Ark, Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Egyptian pharaohs, the
Prophet Isaiah, and many other notorious people in the Bible. I recall
hearing lessons about Bible lands like, Mt Sinai, Moab, Palestine,
Jerusalem, Jericho, River Jordan, Dead Sea. and many other locations. 
I' ll admit that these people and these places were not real to me
because I wasn't a serious Bible reader and had never visited the
Holy Land.

I had two experiences that changed my life.  I went with my mom
on a church trip to Holy Land USA in Bedford Virginia. 


 

 
I was impressed with this place.  The mountain air and the replica of 
the Holy land in Israel was nice.  I went into an area that was called 
Lazarus' tomb.  I suddenly felt like I was the only person in this tomb. 
It was dark and quiet, but I didn't feel afraid. I can't say how long I
was in  there and I don't even remember walking out!!  The rest of the
tour was a blur and I remained quite throughout the rest of the trip. My
mom asked if I was, " OK".  I couldn't really answer her, "Yes". Many
years later I read a book by Dr. Richard E. Eby called "Didn't You Read
My Book".





  
Dr. Eby  describes having a miraculous experience too. Amazon sells
the book if you want to read the entire account of his experience. 
Trust me, you will be amazed!

I heard a sermon by Rev. D. James Kennedy many years ago in which
he spoke about biblical archaeology discoveries. I felt like I had gotten 
a thump on my head.  Somehow I had never heard that locations and 
artifacts mentioned in the Bible had been discovered.  I got chills as I
listened to him discuss artifacts found at archaeological digs. I didn't

know about the discoveries of the Dead Sea Scrolls, Seal from the City 
David, Samaritan artifacts, plaques, pottery, and many other important
biblical items. 


I have followed news stories and searched the web for information
about biblical archaeology discoveries since that time.  I even 
purchased the Archaeological Study Bible.  I also bought Reader's
Digest, The Story Of The Bible World from the annual Friend's of 
The Library book sale.


REFERENCE MATERIALS









BIBLICAL DISCOVERIES


The Archaeological Bible, The Story of Bible World, and my online research
has led me to understand that biblical archaeology is interesting and fascinating.  It's more than mere treasure hunting.  The archaeologists 
are digging for hours to unearth biblical clues to validate biblical history.





ARCHAEOLOGISTS DIGGING



DEAD SEA SCROLLS


The book of Psalms 152-155 tells about King David and the Dead Sea
Scrolls.  Between 1947 and 1956 thousands of fragments of biblical 
and early Jewish documents were discovered in eleven caves near the
site of Khirbet Qumran on the shores of the Dead Sea. 








THE QUMRAN SITE







The books of 2 Samuel 5 and 1 Kings 21 in the Bible also 
discuss King David. They give a detailed account of his reign
and the location of his palace. Seals from the City of David 
have been found with a Hebrew name inscription on it. The 
books of Jeremiah 32 and 1Kings 21 mention that seals were 
put on important documents. 


SEAL FROM THE CITY OF DAVID







An archaeologist named Eilat Mazar found this seal and several 
gold and silver coins during her digs in Jerusalem and other 
Biblical locations.


ANCIENT GOLD AND SILVER COINS




There are other archaeologists excavating at a synagogue in Magdala.
It's  located at the shore of the Sea of Galilee. They have found coins 
and a menorah there.  The Bible books John 20 and Mark 16 informs
us that a woman named Mary was from Magdala. She was known as
Mary Magdalene and was at the cross during the crucifixion of Jesus.


MAGDALA MENORAH






Archaeologists working at the Biblical site of Gezer discovered
a boundary stone inscribed with both Greek and Hebrew text.

The Bible books of Joshua 16, Judges 1, 1 Chronicles 6 and 7 
and 1 Kings 9 mention Gezer.


GEZER STONE




The Bible describes the relationship between Abraham and the 
Philistines in Genesis 15 and 21.  The Bible book 1 Samuel 17 
gives the account of young David killing a Philistine named Goliath.  
The Bible books 1 Samuel 4, 7, 14, 17, and 31 and  2 Kings 18  
describe several battles between the Israelites and the Philistines.
Stone carvings of Philistines soldiers have been found.




PHILISTINE SOLDIER STONE CARVING









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME FOR GOD!